It is always best to know about all the different types of chimney cap options available before you make a selection. Read further about the various types of chimney caps and a brief discussion about the details of each.
1. Weathershield Caps- These chimney caps are typically made from stainless steel, galvanized metal, or aluminum.
2. Top Mount Chimney Caps- Top mount chimney caps are normally made from copper, galvanized metal, or stainless steel. They can also have corner reinforcements for more stability and to offer more secure placement.
3. Band-Around Chimney Cap- This chimney cap type is a metal mesh skirt with an adjustable band that wraps around the chimney and if fitted tightly around each corner of the chimney flue.
4. Electric Draft Chimney Cap-These chimney caps are electric and are normally made from metal. They are available in various sizes from 3 to 12 inches.
5. Draft Increasing Chimney Cap- These chimney caps are made from galvanized metal or stainless steel and are typically used on masonry and prefabricated fireplaces.
6. Standard Chimney Cap- These chimney caps are available in copper, galvanized metal, and stainless steel. The galvanized version cannot be used on gas logs but the stainless steel versions can be used for both masonry fireplaces and prefabricated fireplaces.
7. Integral Damper- These chimney caps are typically made from stainless steel and are best used for masonry fireplaces.
8. Custom Chimney Caps- These chimney caps are available in copper, galvanized metal, and stainless steel. The galvanized version should ideally not be used on gas logs.
The best option is to contact our specialists to help you select the most appropriate type and size. They will give you expert advice and do the professional installation of the appropriate chimney capping in the Chicago area.